Join us for a lunchtime talk. Bring a brown bag lunch or order from the Tent City Cafe and hear Christine Stokes, CHA's Director speak and share photos from the Coronado School of Fine Arts.
Monty Lewis established the Coronado School of Fine Arts in 1945. He held morning, evening, and weekend art classes for children and adults. Aware of the challenges faced by military servicemen and women returning from war and understanding arts influence on recovery, he advertised the classes as “Approved for Veterans.” Monty Lewis, a native of Wales, first studied art at the Art Students League of New York. Soon, he became a nationally known painter and muralist. At the time he produced exhibitions at the Museum of Modern Art, the Chicago Art Institute, and the Whitney Museum. He came to the island during World War II and quickly became Coronado’s most famous artist. Lewis moved his family from New York to Coronado to join the Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation in 1942. The company produced aircraft such as the PBY Catalina seaplane for the U.S. Navy. He worked as a technical illustrator in the industrial engineering department. After the war, Lewis remained in Coronado, settling his family and reinventing his life of art. Lewis remained the director of the school for more than forty-five years, reaching hundreds of aspiring Coronado artists.