John D. Spreckels
John D. Spreckels: The Man | The Legacy
Opens March 1, 2018
2018 is a year of celebration of one of Coronado’s most industrious forefathers, John D. Spreckels.
The man behind Coronado’s early days was once called “Midas with a Yen for Jokes” by historian Theodore Fuller. He was a Transportation Tycoon and Family Man. Sugar Prince and News Mogul. John D. was a multifaceted polymath—a man with many sides both public and private.
As his celebrity rose, time engulfed knowledge of John D.'s personality and temperament. Revered, but not without controversy, his legacy is in our cultural heritage and architectural remnants. Today you can explore the many worlds of John D. as you become one of his identities. Who was the Man? What was his life like? And, what is his legacy?
Join the Coronado Historical Association for this interactive exhibit as you imagine yourself as one of John D.’s many complexions. See how his values and skill set changed Coronado as a growing city. Help make your own impact by stepping into his mind.
This exhibit and community-wide celebration are brought to you by Coronado Historical Association, Discover Coronado, Hotel del Coronado, Glorietta Bay Inn, Coronado Marriott, Loews Coronado, and the museum’s many programming partners: Lamb’s Players Theatre, KPBS Public Media, the Coronado Cultural Arts Commission, Coronado Village Middle School, and the Coronado Public Library.
The Museum presents thought-provoking exhibitions on a wide variety of subjects each year. Past exhibitions include Wings of Gold the Centennial of Naval Aviation, The Kingston Trio: A World of Music, and Inspired: 100 Year of Coronado Schools. Exhibition
- Invitations to the exhibition opening previews and events
- Name or logo credit in all exhibition and program materials, including invitations, History Matters, signage, press releases, website, e-newsletters and mailings to members
- Direct link between your website and the Coronado Historical
- Opportunity to host private receptions at the Museum’s Lecture Hall
We are pleased to develop a customized exhibition
Become a member
We preserve and share Coronado's unique and wonderful history with intriguing exhibits and innovative programs for all ages.
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- Free admission to the Museum of History & Art
- Two complimentary tickets to our Historic Walking Tour of Coronado
- Invites to members-only events
- ...and much more!