Patrons to Painters
Patrons to Painters
September 29, 2017 through February 2018
The Coronado Historical Association is pleased to present an exhibit that explores the art community of Coronado through a historical lens. Since the original lot sale in 1885, the arts flourished in this unique coastal village. From its beginning as a mecca for art patrons, Coronado evolved over its 132-year history into an artists community. The turning point of this evolution is most evident in the mid-20th century. Here in Coronado, the sponsorship of artists during the Depression and World War II brought artists from all over the nation. After WWII, these artists such as Monty Lewis stayed. They defined an art community separate from San Diego and created the lasting fellowship that thrives today.
Come visit the Museum of History and Art to experience this interactive exhibit. View art by Monty Lewis, Donal Hord, and Ester Painter Hagstrom. Interactive areas include space to create art, learn about Works Progress Administration projects and camouflage, and experience the fun of the Arts Ball. The museum is free to the public and open seven days a week.
The Museum presents thought-provoking exhibitions on a wide variety of subjects each year. Past exhibitions include Wings of Gold the Centennial of Naval Aviation, The Kingston Trio: A World of Music, and Inspired: 100 Year of Coronado Schools. Exhibition
- Invitations to the exhibition opening previews and events
- Name or logo credit in all exhibition and program materials, including invitations, History Matters, signage, press releases, the CHA website, e-newsletters and mailings to CHA members
- Direct link between your website and the Coronado Historical
- Opportunity to host private receptions at the Museum’s Lecture Hall
We are pleased to develop a customized exhibition
Become a member
We preserve and share Coronado's unique and wonderful history with intriguing exhibits and innovative programs for all ages.
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- Free admission to the Museum of History & Art
- Two complimentary tickets to our Hotel del Coronado Tour
- Subscription to our quarterly newsletter, History Matters
- ...and much more!