The Coronado Historical Association Executive Director will provide critical leadership in fulfilling our mission and will manage all aspects of the Association’s operations. The Executive Director will work closely with the Board President and the Board of Directors to develop and implement the strategic plan, establish policies, and provide leadership and support for the staff and volunteers. Key responsibilities include fund development (fundraising, planned giving, grant writing, and membership development), strategic planning, financial and administrative management, and community outreach. The Executive Director will also oversee the yearly fund contract with the City of Coronado and the relationships with the building owner and tenants.
The Executive Director is expected to work closely with the Association’s Board of Directors and demonstrate a strong commitment to the Association’s mission and activities. Download description here.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume saved as one pdf document to the Coronado Historical Association at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director – [Last Name}”. Apply by October 31. No phone calls, please.
The Development Associate is responsible for all administrative duties and data processing associated with development and public relations activities.Museum Associates are the primary staff team members to interface with the museum guest. They welcome guests to the museum, work museum programs and event rentals, sell merchandise, and answer general inquiries about museum services from the visiting public. Download description here.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume saved as one pdf document to the Coronado Historical Association at email@example.com with the subject line “Museum Associate – [Last Name}”. Apply by September 1. No phone calls, please.
Executive Director Full Position
Experience, Qualifications, and Skills:
The successful candidate will be an accomplished leader with a background in museums or similar institutions, who has achieved demonstrable success in establishing and achieving fundraising, strategic, and mission-related objectives. The candidate will have significant experience in administrative leadership, including fundraising, human resources management, and financial oversight. In addition, an ideal candidate will have knowledge of AAM/AASLH standards and best practices, a master's degree in a related discipline, and the expertise required to evaluate and steward the Association's programs, exhibits, and collections.
- 7+ years of experience in leadership and management positions
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is required:
- Non-profit sector
- Historical organizations
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced Degree preferred.
- Significant experience in human resources management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator.
- Proven track record with fundraising, nonprofit boards, committees, and the public is essential. Capital campaign experience is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and diplomatically with Board, staff, volunteers, and stakeholders.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and manages a total staff of ~10 and various functional committees.
Please submit a cover letter and resume saved as one pdf document to the Coronado Historical Association at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director – [Last Name}”. Apply by July 31. No phone calls, please.
Position Description Specific Responsibilities:
40% Lead Comprehensive Campaign and Annual Fund Development:
- Lead the development of the annual fundraising strategies needed to enhance the Association’s financial viability and sustain a diverse funding base to fulfill the Association’s mission, including grant writing, foundations, corporations, individuals, and coordination with annual fundraising events and the comprehensive campaign
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with key individuals in the community, foundations, endowments, public agencies, and local businesses, including the City of Coronado and County of San Diego
- Develop and meet annual fundraising plan, budget for contributed income, and business plans for earned income strategies (Museum Store, programs, etc.) and proposed fundraising events.
- Seek partnership opportunities with other nonprofits to leverage fundraising activities and collaboration connections.
Lead and coordinate Comprehensive Campaign preparation and execution
- Actively participate on campaign development committee
- Take lead in developing campaign budget with the Board of Directors
- Manage campaign budget and calendars
- Develop overall case for support with the Board of Directors
- Build prospective donor lists together with the Board of Directors
- Develop cultivation strategies for prospective donors
- Coordinate cultivation events
- Direct Board, volunteer, and staff involvement in Comprehensive Campaign
40% Oversee and Manage all Coronado Historical Association Activities:
Work under the leadership of the Board of Directors to oversee the Coronado Historical Association operations by supporting the Association’s mission, providing up-to-date financial and programming information regularly, and notifying the Board of any changes needed to ensure effective and timely programming and community collaborations
- Work closely with Board of Directors to develop and execute the strategic plan
- In conjunction with staff, committees, and the Board of Directors develop annual budget and deliver results against budget
- Work closely with Board leadership to develop and maintain a talented, engaged, and active Board by providing timely and accurate information to enable informed decisions
- Actively focus the Board of Directors on key organizational and operational issues as part of Board & Committee meetings
Lead, coach and develop a productive team of ~10 employees, including: recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating and (if needed) terminating
- Set direction and create alignment around responsibilities
- Delegate appropriate activities and authority and coordinate with senior staff regarding line item budget matters and strategic planning efforts
- Advise the Board of policy changes needed to recruit and maintain quality staff
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff
- Maintain sound human resources practices consistent with federal and state laws and as determined by the Coronado Historical Association’s Policy & Procedure Manual and Board guidance
Oversee all building, infrastructure, and tenant management
- Ensure that all aspects of Master Lease are upheld by the Association and tenants
- Liaison with Building Owner on all building, Association, and tenant issues
- Oversee tenant's payment history and take appropriate actions if a delinquency occurs
- Provide and maintain a healthy, safe and productive environment for employees, volunteers, tenants, and visitors
- Take all necessary steps to ensure that the building is being cared for and used in an appropriate manner consistent with AASLH and AAM best practices and standards
20% Community Outreach and Mission
- Act as spokesperson and chief advocate of the Coronado Historical Association through internal and external marketing and by forging strategic relationships with media sources.
- Be a recognized leader in local community, which includes positioning the Association as the premier historical organization that is a vital part of Coronado
- Represent the Association at public and private events and maintain public speaking engagements to educate the public on the Association's mission
- Collaborate with local organizations, individuals, and agencies to promote and manage ongoing community strategic partnerships
- Manage the creation and implementation of an annual communication plan with monthly milestones, including special events, programs, and outreach.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications from web presence to external relations to create a stronger brand.
- Create editorial content for placement in local outlets
- Maintain brand continuity in all communications
Become a member
We preserve and share Coronado's unique and wonderful history with intriguing exhibits and innovative programs for all ages.
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- Free admission to the Museum of History & Art
- Two complimentary tickets to our Hotel del Coronado Tour
- Subscription to our quarterly newsletter, History Matters
- ...and much more!