Jack's Salad Recipe (as written by CHA Volunteer Carol Pastor)
Jack Clapp worked for Caesar Cardini at The Caesar’s Palace in Tijuana Mexico. He brought this version of the Caesar Salad (Jack’s Salad) to La Avenida Café in Coronado.
- 1 garlic clove (or 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chopped garlic)
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 2 large heads romaine
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs. cooked 1 minute (or raw)
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 6-8 anchovy fillets, chopped or 1/2 inch anchovy paste
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 c grated jack cheese
- 2 c soft croutons
- In a small bowl, mix oil and garlic. Let it sit to “mingle” for several hours in the refrigerator.
- Tear romaine into bitesize pieces. (You can do this ahead. Place in the refrigerator wrapped in a damp towel.)
- To mix. place romaine in a large salad bowl.
- Toss lettuce with garlic/oil.
- In same small bowl, mix eggs and anchovy.
- Toss with lettuce.
- Squeeze on lemon juice.
- Add cheeses and toss again.
- Add croutons and toss again.
- To be really authentic, serve on chilled plates
To make croutons
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- more Parmesan cheese
- Toast one side of the bread under the broiler.
- Turn over and spread with butter.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Return to broiler until cheese melts and bread is slightly toasted.
- Cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
Source: Jack Clapp, La Avenida Café